Bergen Catholic Talisman

on-line edition of our literary magazine

Discovery of the Kareebo Indians

A few months ago I, Ahkta the assistant to the leader of the Nurasho Indians, found an abandoned campsite. Our leader, Tacna, lead us through the woods and we discovered a place next to a river. Its fires were still lit and food was still warm. We searched around but no one was found. No traces were left. It was as if these undiscovered people had just spawned on the ground and then flew away. Obviously new people have come from other land from across the ocean. Another possibility is that they have traveled from the south. It was getting dark so the Scavenger Team, which was our squad name, had to travel back to our village.

Dinner was very awkward between the Scavenger Team that night. Tacna could not decide if we should tell the tribe or not. All of us have been giving each other awkward looks throughout our dinner. Every 10 days we have a dinner with all of the villagers outside of the tents. After dinner the search team decided to call an emergency meeting. As we grouped up in Tacna’s tent, which was the largest because he is the leader of our tribe, I glanced at the faces of our group and all I saw was worried looks. I wanted to comfort some of the men but could not say anything. Finally Tacna began to talk. His first words were, “We need to find these people and see what they are up to. If it is no good and they are a large tribe, we must seek help in case they try an attack. If we cannot get help, it could be the very end of existence of the

that my entire body began to tremble. I could not concentrate on anything. Finally the meeting had ended and we went back to our families and tents to go to sleep.

When I walked in my son and daughter, Jaidiv and Rashmi, were sound asleep. Jaidiv is almost of age 12 and Rashmi is only 8. My wife Nisha quickly comes to me and asks what was wrong. I had not stopped shaking since our meeting. She quickly comforts me with warm tea and we go to our bed. I tell her there is nothing to worry about and she should go to sleep. I told her I must be up early because of an urgent mission. I was not allowed to tell her although I knew I would not be able to hold it in much longer. Everyone was asleep long before me. I lied awake that night with the thought of my family and tribe being killed. This thought made me sad but I knew I must not be sad, I must be brave.

The next morning I awoke to my wife and kids eating at a fire with the rest of the mothers and children. I quickly got dressed and went to Tacna’s tent. I passed Tacna’s wife and son as I walked by, she stopped me and mumbled, “God bless you, don’t get hurt,” and sadly walked on. I then new Tacna had told his wife, but she was also the “wise one” of our tribe. Unlike majority of other tribes, we felt we must use all of our people to advantage, so even the women and children were not belittled. As I walk into the tent everyone has already sat on the ground aside from Tacna and I who are standing over everyone. The meeting was brief and to the point. Tacna mumbled, “We are going back today. We will split into two groups, one on the side with riverbank with me and the other group on the far side with Ahkta. If we find people we will stay hidden. If they spot us, we cannot return to our village until we know it is safe. If we have a chance,” Tacna paused, “be prepared to attack.”

As we reach the camp site we split up into two groups, Tacna and about five Nurasho warriors were on the south side (on the riverbank) and I was on the north side with about seven other Nurasho warriors. In sequence, over fifteen unknown Indians wandered tiredly out of their tents. I tensed up completely, struggling to find Tacna with my eyes so he could give me a sign as to what to do. My hands could barely grip my knives tight enough. I was sweating and could not come to my senses. Finally I found Tacna; he gave me the signal to charge. At that moment I thought about my family, Jaidiv and Rashmi playing by the fire while I sit with Nisha and watched their joyful faces prance around. At that minute I realized we shouldn’t be attacking, but I had to follow orders.

I charged into their tribe. I found the man that looked as if he was in charge. I leapt into the air and landed on him pummeling him to the ground. He began to struggle trying to get a hold of his knife. I glanced up and saw fighting all around. Just as I was going to kill the man I had pinned, I saw mothers and children crying as their fathers and husbands were going to be murdered and men from my tribe would die and families would be ruined. I immediately got off the man I was on top of and helped him up. We called for everyone to stop but no one could hear us over the roar of the fighting. The man I tackled and I ran at the fighting and began to break it up. I looked around and all fighting had been quelled and taken under control. It did not look like anyone was badly injured, a few scratches and maybe some blood but nothing to gruesome.

We listened to their tribe leader and we knew he did not speak our language. I walked over to him to see if he would be able to understand me. In a subtle I announced, “I am Ahkta, assistant of the Nurasho tribe. Do you understand what I am saying?” There were blank looks on the entire village’s face so I took it that they didn’t understand what I was saying. I walked back over to Tacna and we began to contemplate what the next step should be. A Nurasho warrior walked over to us whom I have never really gave any attention. He was the youngest man in our group and was very shy. No one ever hears him speak unless he is told to speak. He is always with his wife but he has no children. “I am part of the culture team back at our base camp. I do not participate on the trips to our alliances because I am here protecting our tribe, but I know little of these people’s language,” the young man said. “It is worth a try, but be careful and don’t show any intimidation,” Tacna hopefully commanded. He returned a few minutes later joyfully saying that the leader of the Kareebo Indians, whose name is Irathica, wants to meet with Tacna and discuss the situation.

That next day all of the women made our camp site look as neat as possible to try and impress Irathica and his family, who is coming to dinner. The cooks made a 4-coarse meal for the two leaders. I hoped I would be able to sit on the dinner but Irathica decided he wants to eat alone. He brought his family and three guards with him but they, along with me and a few other warriors, had to stay outside of his tent. Soon enough the two families came out of Tacna’s tent and with a document that had the territories mapped out with a peace treaty written on the back. Both Tacna’s and Irathica’s signature at the bottom. After Irathica, his family and his guards left our entire tribe had a celebration. I presented Tacna a leadership award and the young warrior a versatility award.

Throughout time the Nurasho and Kareebo Indian’s alliance was strong. Both tribes helped each other with minor and major problems. We learned that our team of warriors was much stronger and we knew the land much better. We came across few problems with other natives, but we were able to supply defense for the Kareebos. We learned that the Kareebo Indians came from extremely south-western and came up by the river. They taught us how to make many more foods. Both tribes can now speak each other’s language fluently. Recently there has been a large threat from a large tribe but we are confident we can defeat them and take them over considering we have two tribes and all of our aspects have been advanced. The discovery of the Kareebo tribe has been a remarkable point in our history. The Nurasho Indians have benefitted very much from their discovery of the Kareebo Indians.

By: Dan Hurley

No Replies

Feel free to leave a reply using the form below!

Leave a Reply